Policies and Manuals
Policies regarding tenure, promotion, safety, chair evaluation, and student progress of the Wake Forest University Department of Physics.
Lab Safety and Compliance
All undergraduate and graduate students, postdocs, faculty and staff are required to complete Lab Safety Training before beginning work in a research laboratory. The primary component to this can be satisfied by watching the appropriate lab safety compliance video below and filling out the certificate of completion. You are also required to read the appropriate Chemical Hygiene Plan & Safety Manual below. University faculty, staff & students who generate or handle hazardous waste are required to complete Hazardous Waste training and fill out the certificate of completion. If you will be working with biohazard materials, blood or needles, then you are also required to watch the Blood Borne Pathogen Training video and complete the quiz by following the links below.
- Physics Lab Safety Training
- Hazardous Waste Training
- Blood Borne Pathogen Training
- Research Laboratory Training Checklist — This form should be completed and kept in the gray Laboratory Safety Compliance Binder in the primary lab.
- Disposal of Broken Glass
- If you have glass that doesn’t contain biohazardous material, this glass needs to be boxed, labeled as broken glass, then placed outside for normal trash pickup (don’t put the box in the trash cans; leave them on the dock). If you have glass that contains biohazardous material, they must be boxed and placed inside the biohazard waste disposal boxes.
- Laser Safety
- Machine Shop Safety Requirements
Tenure and Promotion Policies